Mercy Hospital

Mercy Hospital

Mercy Hospital involvement in health care is a valuable part of Dunedin, history dating back to 1897 when the first Sisters of Mercy arrived from Australia, living and working among the families and homes of South Dunedin.

In 1936 the Mater Misericordiae Hospital was opened in Royal Terrace, offering 24 medical and surgical beds. With a growing need for facilities, the move to the beautiful grounds of Marinoto in Newington Avenue took place in November 1969 where the Sisters of Mercy had built a 66-bed hospital. The hospital’s name was changed to Mercy Hospital in 1988.