Established in 1952, Beijing Friendship Hospital was the first hospital set up in the national capital by the central government. Its original name was Beijing Soviet Union Red Cross Hospital and was renamed Beijing Friendship Hospital in 1970 by the late Chinese Premier Zhou Enlai.
Shortly after the founding of the hospital, the Chinese government transferred many outstanding medical and nursing staff from all parts of China, to establish various disciplines of rigorous medical treatment and hospital management. It has become a first grade large and comprehensive hospital which integrates Chinese and Western medication that produces an impact on the medical and health circles of the capital.
The new outpatient service building was opened on 28th September, 2004, which is the most advanced of its kind in Beijing with a helicopter parking apron on the top and a reception capacity of 5,000 per day.